Welcome to the 259th episode of Social Chatter, the longest running social media marketing talk show. In addition to covering the latest breaking social media news, this article will focus on social media news from this past week, including YouTube Shorts, a TikTok alternative.
- YouTube started rolling out Shorts, their alternative to TikTok.
- Create Facebook Stories in Facebook Creator Studio.
- Watch videos on Facebook together with Watch Together in Messenger.
- Canva has launched their own content planner.
- New tool: PromptSmart Pro a teleprompter app for streamlining your video productions.
If you missed the last episode of our social media marketing talk show, we discussed new TikTok marketing tools.
Social Chatter: Social Media Marketing Talk Show - Episode 259
YouTube Shorts, 15-Second Short Videos
This week, YouTube launched YouTube Shorts, a TikTok alternative.
Here is what YouTube had to say about Shorts.
Shorts is a new way to express yourself in 15 seconds or less, and our team is focused on building its foundation across three main areas:
- Create: Creation is at the core of short-form video, and we want to make it easy and fun to create Shorts. We're starting to test just a few new tools for creators and artists with our early beta in India.
- A multi-segment camera to string multiple video clips together.
- The option to record with music from a large library of songs that will continue to grow.
- Speed controlsthat give you the flexibility to be creative in your performance.
- And a timer and countdown to easily record, hands-free.
- Watch: You may have recently seen a row on the YouTube homepage especially for short videos, and starting today we're also introducing a new watch experience that lets you easily swipe vertically from one video to the next, plus discover other similar short videos. We're also going to make it even easier to start watching Shorts.
With YouTube Shorts, you can upload 15-second or less short-form videos.
Shorts can be created using creator tools, such as a multi-segment camera, speed controls, a timer, and a countdown feature when starting your YouTube Shorts.
In addition to these creator tools, you can set your YouTube Shorts to music from YouTube's large library of songs.
When you are using the multi-segment camera, you can combine multiple video clips into one short clip. These features may seem familiar because the recently announced Instagram Reels, also has them.
To view your YouTube Shorts, you can swipe vertically to scroll through them.
Here is how to make your own YouTube Shorts.
To check if you have Shorts, update your YouTube app. Next, look for the Shorts camera. You can start creating videos by hitting the plus (+) icon or video camera icon if on iOS,
If you see "create a short video" as an option, this means that you have the Shorts camera.
When you are finished recording your YouTube Shorts videos, you can tag them with #Shorts in the title or description. They may then appear on the YouTube homepage with other Short videos.
YouTube Shorts are currently available in India (where TikTok is currently banned). We anticipate they will roll out to everyone in the near future, so keep an eye out for them on your YouTube channel.
Why YouTube Shorts Matter For Your Business
If you primarily use your mobile device to film videos, YouTube Shorts will be a useful tool for your business.
Although you are limited to using just mobile, Shorts can be a great way to film short, catchy videos that you can publish in real-time.
You can then create long form videos and share those directly to your YouTube channel as well.
Essentially, YouTube Shorts gives you another type of content that you can create and share with your audience through the YouTube video platform.
As a business, you can quickly grow your YouTube presence through the new YouTube Shorts video content and longer form content. Together, your business can build a strong following on the platform.
In the meantime, if you do not yet have YouTube Shorts, try searching for #Shorts on YouTube, to see what types of vertical videos come up and review them to begin getting ideas for your Shorts, when this feature becomes available to you.
Other Social Media News Mentioned
Here are some additional social media news topics that we covered on our weekly live social media marketing talk show that are worth checking out.
- Schedule content created in Canva using their new content planning tool.
- You can now create Facebook Stories directly from Facebook Creator Studio.
- Facebook launches Facebook Campus, a college-only space designed to help students connect with fellow classmates over shared interests.
- Use Facebook Messenger video calls or Messenger Rooms to watch them together with friends and family.
- Facebook is going to impose ad volume guidance per Facebook Page.
How to Properly Target Followers With Video
We talked with Chris Stone about how to leverage short form video, such as YouTube Shorts in their marketing.
Here are the tips that he shared.
Can Short Video Content Be Useful For Business?
- Don't expect short videos to move the needle immediately. You have to create content that drives viewers towards your funnel.
- Absolutely. You have to create very engaging content though. You only get in the case of YouTube Shorts, 15 seconds.
How Do You Decide Which Format For Your Content?
With an abundance of types of media, including blogs, vlogs, native video, live video, podcasts and now YouTube Shorts, you have plenty of options for the type of content you create.
- Focus on where your audience spends their time at. It could be YouTube, your blog, or even in their Inbox.
- If you're not sure where your audience spends time at, pick a few platforms to publish on.
- Survey your audience instead of guessing.
In addition to sharing the latest news from this past week, we also highlighted some great social media tools and apps for you to check out.
The first tool that we have for you this week is Blackhole.
Do you need to route audio from various applications? Maybe you run a live show and need to bring in sound effects into your show, but they are on a different audio device?
With Blackhole, you can quickly route audio from one place into another without the need for expensive equipment or cables.
According to Blackhole, they use a virtual audio driver that allows applications to pass audio to other applications with zero additional latency (meaning there won't be delays).
Blackhole is a free download.Route audio between your apps
The second tool that we have for you this week is PromptSmart Pro.
Do you record a lot of mobile videos, but find it challenging to remember your lines?
If you are a broadcaster, Internet personality, public speaker or educator, PromptSmart Pro can make it easy for you to remember your lines and record professional videos thanks to their mobile teleprompter software with voice-tracking.
PromptSmart Pro works on iOS and Android. Here is a look at how PromptSmart Pro works.
You can try PromptSmart Pro free for 7-days. Prices start at $19.99 on iOS or $29,99 per year for Android.Remember your video script
To sum it up this week, we discussed YouTube Shorts, a way to create 15-second short videos. If you have been using TikTok or Instagram Reels, Shorts seem like they will be a great alternative to both of these tools, as you can tap into your existing YouTube subscriber base.
To watch next week's episode of Social Chatter, your weekly social media marketing talk show, tune-in to our YouTube channel or watch on Facebook to learn about the latest breaking social media news from this week!