Welcome to the 341st episode of Social Chatter, the longest running social media marketing talk show. In addition to covering the latest breaking social media news, this article will focus on social media news from this past week, including Twitter duplicate tweets.
If you're new to Social Chatter, you can also read, watch or listen on our blog, YouTube channel or Alexa Flash Briefing.
If you missed a previous episode of our social media marketing talk show, we discussed YouTube Live Redirects.
Let's see what's new in social media this week with, Christian Karasiewicz, Sara Munro and guest, Julia Jornay-Silverberg.
Social Chatter: Social Media Marketing Talk Show - Episode 341
Cracking Down On Twitter Duplicate Tweets, to Reduce Twitter Feed Spam
This week, we're taking a look at Twitter duplicate tweets, to help reduce spam in your Twitter feed.
In an effort to reduce duplicate content on the platform, Twitter is rolling out a Copypasta and Duplicate Content policy.
For those of you new to 'copypasta,' it's where you copy and paste the same tweet and share it out as a new tweet.
This can lead to a lot of Twitter spam, and spoil the experience for a number of users.
If you're in the corporate world, or you regularly send out pre-built tweets to encourage employees, influencers, and speakers to hype your event or product launch, you can still do this.
We would strongly encourage you to provide a sample tweet, but also let everyone know they should write their own original tweets. Otherwise, they might run afoul of Twitter's Copypasta and Duplicate Content policy.
Here's a look at what Twitter has to say about duplicate tweets.
Why Twitter Duplicate Tweets Matter For Your Business?
If your Twitter detects tweets that are replicated across accounts, here's what they do.
- Tweets become ineligible for amplification in search results and trends
- Your tweets might not be recommended to users if they don't follow you
- Twitter can downrank your tweets
- Your tweets and even your Twitter account, can be excluded from in-product recommendations
Keep in mind, that if your Twitter account is seen as sending duplicate tweets, this can affect visibility and potentially cause issues as Twitter evolves and rolls out new features.
As a result, we encourage you to still create sample tweets to share, but don't think just changing a username in a tweet is going to help avoid being seen as sending Twitter duplicate tweets.
Rather than copy and paste a sample tweet, consider writing a custom tweet to share when you share an article, company announcement, etc with employees and influencers who you want to have help you amplify your content to their followers. This can help reduce Twitter spam and duplicate tweets in the Twitter Feed.
Related Twitter Articles
- Twitter Flock, share tweets with small groups
- How to Use Twitter Spaces
- What is Twitter Blue?
- Twitter Tip Jar
- Twitter Super Follows
- How to share Twitter Spaces audio
Other Social Media News Mentioned
Here are some additional social media news topics that we covered on our weekly live social media marketing talk show that are worth checking out.
- Twitter has rolled out Super Follows Spaces.
- Meta has published their Community Standards Enforcement Report for Q1 2022.
- LinkedIn is adding real-time captions to audio events.
- YouTube launches green screen support for Shorts.
- Tool of the week: Walls.
How to Be HUMAN On Social Media
We spoke with Julia Jornay-Silverberg about being human on social media. Here are the tips that she shared.
What is your HUMANS system? Can you break down the acronym?
Being HUMAN on social media can help you build longer, lasting connections. Here is my HUMANS system.
- H: Have a plan. Without a plan in place, there's no way to know where you're going and whether your efforts are working.
- U: Understand your special sauce. Truly understand what sets you apart so that you can bring that front and center.
- M: make a commitment to show up consistently. Show up and engage, and be a part of the conversation happening.
- A: ask questions. This is a great way to show your audience you care about them and their feedback!
- N: never stop learning.
- S:Shine a light. We're on social media to build relationships, so it's critical to shine a light on the connections you're creating!
Social media is constantly evolving, so be sure to keep up with the latest trends and tools. S: shine a light. Shine a light on the connections that you're creating because that's what social media is all about!
What is the biggest opportunity for individuals and brands on social media in 2022?
The biggest opportunity that I see for brands is to be building relationships with their fans and followers and to lean into the power of community to help create content for you.
By truly taking the time to invest in and share user-generated content, being responsive to messages and featuring employees, brands have an ability to be more human than ever before and by doing so, create a genuine connection to their audience.
To sum it up this week, we discussed how to reduce Twitter duplicate tweets.
If you have any additional questions, please share them with us in the comments below.
To watch next week's episode of Social Chatter, your weekly social media marketing talk show, tune-in to our YouTube channel or watch on Facebook to learn about the latest breaking social media news from this week!